Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Sand, Bubbles & A New House

I am trying to be more creative in the activities I play with Rebecca. Last Saturday, since it was a rare sunny day, we spent 1.5 hours in the playground downstairs messing with sand (she's not very keen as she thinks its dirty and too soft to walk on), slides (there was this one BIG one that had my heart palpitating as I went down with her) and general fun.

We then proceeded to the bathroom for her shower and I decided to run a bubble bath for her to try. She was at first very terrified of the bubbles and foam, kept on shaking her head and saying "no no, no no". In the end I had no choice and got into the tub with her on my lap, clothes and all. We then dumped in all 6 of her toy fish and slowly but surely, she came around to the idea of bubble fun. At the end of 20 minutes, she was splashing away like crazy.

Sunday took a dramatic turn as the weather dropped over 10 degrees. It was rainy and cold and so I decided to make her a playhouse to play with. We took the box that came with Irene's pram, after some slits and tape, add a piece of cloth (thanks Popo!!) ...ta dah...Play House! Made with L-O-V-E somemore. No need Little Tikes! Haha.

Rebecca was so excited that she kept on stamping her feet and running in and out. She would drag her poor dolly in there and play peek-a-boo. She would also go in there and have a good talk with...err...herself!?

I used to do this myself as a kid for my kid brother. Building castles and forts out of pillows, sofas and cushions...having water fights with mom's cookie cutters...playing dance and direct in front of the glass mirrors (yes, I would make my kid brother perform dance routines according to MY cherography!) etc. I think imaginative play is very good for little children. I'm hoping to engage Rebecca into more such fun activities.




No comments: