Monday, August 25, 2008

N2 orientation at Chiltern House

Its finally here. The start of a new school year at Chiltern House. After much anticipation (and grousing) over summer, my little one finally dressed up in her "big girl princess uniform", snapped her velcro shoes and dragged her dora brolly out the door. High on anticipation that she'll be meeting up with her friends again.

Alas, the weather was pretty bad. It was pouring so heavily that we could hardly see the apartment blocks next to ours. The wind was howling and I kept telling Bear that it sounds like a typhoon. After checking the news channels umpteen times and upon receiving no confirmation of school cancellation, we trooped down to the car and set off at 7:50am.

Traffic really crawled as water flooded the streets. Cars were moving at snail slow space and R looked worriedly out the window from the vantage view of her carseat.

"Reach already not" Bear texted me about 40 mins into the car ride
"No, still stuck on tianshan lu" I messaged back. That's less than 2 km from our apartment.
"Better turn back then, many cars stuck"
"See how first" The silk-clad-amazon mother in me needed to prove to myself that I would do ANYTHING (rraaahhh) to get the kid to school. Education, is but of course, about the only legacy I can bestow R.

30 minutes after this, I flew the white flag and told my captain, opps sorry, driver, to turn back. It was already 9:15am and we had moved about...oh...300 meters forward. At this rate, we would have probably reached school at 10:30am or worse.
R was NOT amused. She was angry and grouchy. She wanted to see her friends - desperately.
Look at her dragging her umbrella home in dissappointment. Oh well, we try again tomorrow honey. Sorry.

No comments: